Fire Sprinkler Systems By MAFSCO Helping to Save Lives and Property...
Edgewood Valley Country Club
Unincorporated Cook County, Suburban Life
The Pleasantview Fire Protection District responded
to the automatic fire alarm and discovered contents in the commercial
dryer on fire. A single fire sprinkler activated and immediately extinguished
the fire. No injuries were reported and damage to the immediate area
was minimal. The country club reopened within the hour with minor
disruption to business. Fire officials recalled that in May 1994,
a sprinkler prevented major damage during a kitchen fire at the country
Chief Dan Hermes
B/C Dan Tholotowsky
Cuisine of India Restaurant
Mt.Prospect, Daily Herald
An automatic sprinkler helped keep a kitchen fire at
bay that originated in a kitchen exhaust duct. When firefighters arrived
at the scene, the automatic sprinkler went off, quelling the flames,
Mount Prospect Fire Department Capt. Tony Huemann said. "It held
the fire and kept it from spreading to the rest of the building,"
he said. About 15 people had to be evacuated from the restaurant,
another neighboring restaurant and a hair salon all in the same strip
mall. While the restaurant was closed the next day, the neighboring
businesses were open.
Chief Mike Figolah
Fire Marshal Paul Valentine
St. Sabina Elder Village
A single sprinkler extinguished a fire in the bathroom
of a sixth floor apartment at the St. Sabina Elder Village in Chicago.
The fire started in a garbage can in the bathroom and started to spread
when a single sprinkler activated and extinguished the fire. Firefighters
from the Chicago Fire Department evacuated the residents and found
smoke, but the fire was extinguished.
Commissioner James Joyce
Deputy Commissioner Kenneth Wideman
St. Charles, Daily Herald
A fire sprinkler system is credited with controlling
a machinery fire at the Precise Castings facility. According to the
St. Charles Fire Department, the system helped put out the fire. Chief
Larry Swanson FPB David Mansfield JUNE 2002: Wynstone Clubhouse Wauconda
The Wauconda Fire Department was dispatched to a fire alarm at the
Wynstone Clubhouse. Upon arrival, crews noticed smoke coming from
the kitchen exterior window. Butter melting on the stovetop ignited,
starting a fire. A single sprinkler activated and extinguished the
fire prior to the fire department arriving at the scene. Crews assisted
with the clean up and the sprinkler system was back in service within
Chief Dave Dato
Deputy Fire Marshal Joseph Schwarz
The Mount Prospect Fire Department responded to a report
of a vehicle fire in the underground parking garage at Creekside Condominiums.
Upon arrival there was visible smoke from outside the building. Fire-
fighters were able to enter the smoke filled garage and aggressively
extinguish the fire. According to Fire Marshal Paul Valentine, the
fire investigation revealed that two automatic sprinklers had activated
and controlled the fire until the fire departments arrival. "This
fire very easily could have spread to adjacent vehicles and perhaps
other portions of the building had it not been for the sprinkler system
and aggressive suppression efforts of the responding fire departments,"
Chief Mike Figolah
Fire Marshal Paul
Valentine Golf View Developmental Center
A single fire sprinkler extinguished a fire in a laundry
room after a fire started in an industrial clothes dryer. According
to Fire Marshal Arnold Witzki, North Maine Fire Protection District,
a resident saw smoke coming from a commercial dryer and tried to save
the clothes by moving them to a nearby canvas laundry basket. The
basket caught fire and residents tried to extinguish the fire with
a fire extinguisher. When firefighters arrived, they found a light
haze. Witzki said the single sprinkler extinguished the fire preventing
injury and significant damage to the 4-year old building.
Chief Robert Batey
76-year-old System Saves College Building
State College, Pennsylvania
What is believed to be the oldest sprinkler system
in the borough has saved a 3- to 4-story wood frame combination occupancy
building. The dry pipe sprinkler system was first installed in 1926
and has been maintained as per NFPA- 25. According to Chief Fire Inspector
Dave Felice, the activated system saved the building and no doubt
the entire block.
On April 15, 2002, a fire started in the basement dry-goods storage
room. Four sprinkler heads activated to contain the fire that had
catastrophic headlines in waiting. The fire department arrived on
the scene only to have minor suppression instead of conflagration
operations. This out of the area report is given to inform readers
that a 76-year-old system will protect life and property if properly
A lesson for parents lies within this notation: Check out the buildings
that your children will be living in while attending college. Ask
to see emergency evacuation plans and make sure the buildings your
non-replaceable children are residing in are protected with functioning
alarms and automatic fire sprinkler systems.
Premium Wood Products
Batavia, The Kane County Chronicle
A fire sprinkler stopped a fire inside a dust hopper
at Premium Wood Products. When firefighters responded to the business,
they found the building full of smoke and an activated sprinkler head.
There was no damage to the building or its contents. "The sprinkler
system saved the building,"said Batavia Fire Chief William Darin.
Fox Lake, Daily Herald
Fox Lake firefighters were called to a fire inside
a warehouse at Menard's. Upon arrival, they found heavy smoke coming
from the north side of the building, inside the ware house, stacked
rolls of insulation caught fire. Fire sprinklers inside the warehouse
activated, controlling the fire until firefighters arrived. Ronald
Hoehne is the chief of the Fox Lake Fire Department.
Walter Brothers Roofing Building Villa Park
Villa Park/Oakbrook Terrace Argus
Fire broke out when an employee working on a forklift
broke the natural gas line of a suspended space heater.
According to Villa Park Fire Chief Robert Wilson, an automatic alarm
alerted the Fire Department that the sprinkler system activated. When
firefighters arrived on the scene, Wilson said there was a light haze
of smoke, but no fire. "The only thing we had to do was turn
off the sprinklers," Wilson said.
Two sprinklers activated and extinguished the fire. The employee shut
off the gas. Wilson estimated $300 in damages, including water.
Bowling Alley Kitchen
Countryside, Des Plaines Valley News
A fire that broke out in the Rolling Lanes Bowling
Alley was confined to the kitchen area with help from a fire sprinkler.
According to Dan Tholotowsky, fire marshal for the Pleasantview Fire
Protection District, the fire appeared to be cooking related. "There
was a sprinkler that was activated. This saved the whole room,"
Tholotowsky said. While the kitchen was closed for clean-up, the bowling
facility was opened the next day.
Value City Furniture Store
Calumet City, The Daily Southtown
Two fire sprinklers prevented a fire, believed to be
caused by a faulty extension cord, from destroying the Value City
Furniture store in Calumet City.
The fire alarm for the store came into the department at 23:43 hours
and companies arrived to find water flowing and some smoke exiting
the roof of the structure.
According to Assistant Chief Steve Williams, Calumet City Fire Department,
this is the second time sprinklers saved their business.
Several years ago a large fire in the warehouse caused 18 sprinklers
to activate, but only minimal structural damage occurred at that time.
Fire damage was contained to some plywood and limited merchandise
while smoke damage was primarily contained to the warehouse areas.
Long Grove Home
The Long Grove Fire District was called to a home under
construction for a fire in the garage. According to Chief Greg Cook,
construction workers heard water running and looked into the garage
to find a white haze of smoke and two sprinklers running.
Fire officials said the fire started after rags with some refinishing
chemicals left in a construction debris pile spontaneously combusted.
The house valued at $2 million suffered minimal smoke and water damage,
but there was no fire damage. The fire occurred just weeks before
the house closing.
According to the builder, Donald Silsch, Constant Custom Homes, when
construction workers first heard the water they thought something
was wrong with the fire sprinkler system. Then they realized there
was a fire. Silsch has a fire sprinkler system in his home.
Not Counting On The Luck Of The Irish, Notre Dame Retrofits
As one of only six universities in the U.S. with its
own fire department, Notre Dame places a priority on the safety of
its students that is unmatched.
Since 1979, Norte Dame has been retrofitting its residence halls with
sprinkler systems to ensure maximum safety in the event of a fire.
More than half of the residence halls' gross square footage is now
sprinklered. The university's policy requires sprinklers to be installed
in any new or renovated building.
This summer, fire sprinklers are scheduled to be installed in six
of fifteen residence halls. The remaining nine will be completed over
winter break and during the summer of 2001. The installation project
will total 751,050 square feet.
Protection Contractor Magazine
NFPA Journal, published by the National
Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
Sprinkler Age Magazine, published by the American
Fire Sprinkler Association (AFSA)